On the 27th of April Nexus Fighter Academy will host the a GrappleThon in Germany. This fun event entails a 24 hour BJJ marathon of rolling for a good cause.
Nexus Fighter Academy instructor Ana Yagües, together with the help of GrappleThon addicts Can Sönmez (co-founder and instructor of Artemis BJJ in Bristol) and Weronika Urbanska are organising this charity event in Hamburg, Germany, with the aim of raising money for the integration of child refugees, young migrants and socially vulnerable youth through the medium of sport.
This GrappleThon is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) event in which the BJJ community rally to roll to raise funds for a worthy cause. Our BJJ marathon will last 24 hours.
Due to the difficulties facing newly arrived immigrants and refugees in terms of integration and gaining acceptance in their new homes we have decided on this initiative as a statement of welcome and a promise of hope.
- 27th April:
- 10am to 11am – rolling time for kids 4-5 years old
- 11am to 12pm – rolling time for kids 6-8 years old
- 12pm to 1pm – rolling time for kids 8-15 years old
- 27th April 1pm to 4pm – wrestling/judo time for adults
- 27th April 4pm to 28th April 10am – BJJ/grappling/newaza time for adults
Please take a look at our rolling schedule on the right side column. Though we are flexible, to guarantee a safe and enjoyable GrappleThon, we are allowing only 20-24 athletes to be rolling at the same time.
If you want to secure your spot, please register in our Doodle list:
- All clubs and/or affiliations are welcomed;
- the event will run for 24h. It starts on 27th April 2019 at 10am and ends on 28th April at 10am.
- The first 3 hours: 10am-1pm are reserved for children. We want to include children in this project, to raise awareness among the youngest about what it means to be a migrant, a refugee or to come from less fortunate families AND to show the children that often we can do something to help/support those who need it. We want to promote respect and solidarity amongst our kids!
- participants do not have to stay/roll for the whole event, they can drop in even just for one roll;
- For travelers on a tight budget, there is the possibility to sleep in the academy. See conditions below.
- For athletes with young kids, there will be babysitting/kids care ON REQUEST directly in the Nexus Fighter Academy. Send a mail to email@example.com with the times you will be rolling and need your kid to be taken care of and his/her age.
- It might be an opportunity for people who wish to try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for the first time to do so in a friendly environment;
- the participation is free but organisers kindly ask to donate at least 1€ for charity;
- GrappleThon is not a competition;
- There will be prizes for participants, good music and friendly vibes to make it even more fun!
Contributing to our social project is very easy, just click on the following link and you will be able to donate whatever amount you wish using Paypal, money transfer or credit card.
Every donation counts, don’t doubt to help us!
Link to donate (English)
Zum Spenden (Deutsch)
We are giving some prizes away to the following athletes:
- The athlete who has travelled from further away
- The oldest athlete fighting for at least 1 hour in the GrappleThon
- The athlete fighting for more hours
- The athlete bringing good vibes with the most original gi
- The athlete bringing good vibes with the most original NoGi outfit.
If you want to participate in any of those contest, please let us know the day of the event so that we can keep track of your information and consider as candidate.
Are you a GrappleThon pilgrim and need a place to sleep?
We decided to use our second separated mat room as dormitory for our GrappleThon “pilgrims”, that is, athletes travelling from outside Hamburg.
The room is heated and has 45 sqm, so warm and big enough for a bunch of people. It has also doors to keep it closed during sleeping time when other people keep rolling. You just need to bring a sleeping bag!
Good, isnt it? Well, there is only one condition to use this free accodomation which, by the way, will be avaible the day before, the day after and the day of the Grapplethon, 3 nights to make your stay in Hamburg affordable if you are on a tigh budget.
Condition: You need to roll at least 2 hours, one of them must be from 7am-10am of the 28th of April, the final hours of our GrappleThon.
Deal? Just let us know ahead if you are interested to save you a spot.
Are you a Gym, business owner or trainer?
Here a poster you can print out or pass to your students. Help us to spread the word!
EVENT SPONSORED BY
Looking for Sponsors!
We are looking for sponsor companies and/or partners who helps to make a blast of this event. You can sponsor us in many different ways, from helping us with the advertising to, and more favoured, donate some from your goods for our tombola and give away prizes. Don’t forget that this event will be visited by some hundred of athletes, men and women, adults and kids and that we will be all over internet and social media like Facebook and Instagram. For you it is a great opportunity for free advertising.
If you are interested on being our sponsor, write us a message to firstname.lastname@example.org